Saturday, January 23, 2010

Polish Star

Looking back through some old crochet patterns, it's not hard to see why crocheting got the reputation of being ugly and of no interest to the contemporary crafter.

Fortunately, there are enough of us out there that know that isn't true and are doing something about it. I amazed when I go and look at crochet patterns on Ravelry and Patternfish as well as in the crochet magazines on the rack at local bookstores. I've even begun hunting down independent designers online to see what is out there.

However, it's not such a bad idea to go look at those old (often scary) patterns that give you every variation possible for potholders and toilet paper roll covers. Even, heaven forbid, the traditional toilet seat cover. I do it looking for lost treasure.

I don't remember where I saw reference to it, but I went hunting for the "Polish Star." It's one of those stitch patterns that seems to be reborn for brief periods every few years and then slips away again.

Here's some of what I found.
Annie's Attic
YouTube
Ebay
Ghost's Yarn Tales

I found the pattern shown on the Ebay link and quickly worked it up in an evening. I can see how it would lose favor after the initial WOW! It's kind of boring to do. You don't get the fun until you start to weave it together.


But the possibilites! There is so much more that could be done with this technique. Change the weaving pattern, adjust the loop length to match, and I can see that this could be used do some cool stuff.

So for a brief period, I'm reviving the Polish Star. More to come later.

No comments:

Post a Comment