Saturday, February 27, 2010

Turkish Crochet

I ran across the Turkish Crochet blog awhile ago and fell in love with what is there; especially the edgings.

Being someone who can usually look at crocheted items and figure out how they were made, I was even more intrigued by the intricacy of what I was seeing.  So I decided to do a little on-line research to see if I could find out more.

Considering the volume of material available for consumption on the internet I was a little miffed when I couldn't find out more information about Turkish crochet. What I did find was a lot of people who had seen what I had and wanted patterns.

So I started reading the comments in the blog and discovered that the author's photos are the patterns. Apparently the picture is the pattern. Traditionally if you wanted the pattern you looked at a swatch or piece of edging and, knowing how to crochet and the different techniques, could copy it. A required skill if you can't read or write.

I also found, in the comments, that these edgings were used on scarfs and allowed you to tell people how you were feeling through the symbolism of the edging elements.

What an inspiration. I may have to try one of them one day!

8 comments:

  1. Yes, in our Turkish culture we don't have the concept of patterns for crochet. We just look at it and make an exact copy it. That's how we've been taught since little :)
    Regards
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow... i wish i am like you guys... i have been craving for the amazing works of amigurumist (Askina/Demmet) and she/he has been sharing written patterns. unfortunately, it is in turkish and i can't understand it. i wish i can just look at the work and do the same like you. can you please tell me what these are the symbols for single crochet... double... and other stitches? i remember seeing X, V, CC .. what stitches are those? THANKS!!!!

      Delete
    2. I’m in the same boat as you! I came across the Amigurumi Askina blog & fell in love with their patterns! I did the automatic translate that pops up on my internet but it didn’t translate it correctly. :o( So I’m in search of translating that page correctly. I do know that the

      X= sc
      V= 2sc in one stitch
      A= sc2tog
      BLO= back loop only
      CC= slip stich
      HDC= half double crochet
      DC= double crochet
      DTR= triple crochet
      VHDC= 2 HDC in one stitch
      VDC= 2 DC in one stitch

      I’m not sure what the “W” & “M” mean though. Then there are all the wording in between that I’m not sure what it means. :o(

      Here is the pattern I’m trying to translate…. http://amigurumiaskina.blogspot.com/2014/03/amigurumi-seker-kz-yapls-amigurumi-free.html

      Delete
    3. Did you succeed in translating it? I would loveeee to make the pattern but cant read the turkish one and I cant find an translation anywhere :(

      Delete
    4. M means 3sctog
      W means 3sc in one single stitch

      Delete
    5. M means 3sctog
      W means 3sc in one single stitch

      Delete
  2. I make alot of the oya edgings you are referring to and I was taught by my mother in law, and I had no reading material or patterns to go by, usually my mother in law would imagine a flower or something and then translate that idea into her work. There are alot of the "same types" of oya work, however each person may add extra or less to make it "their own" I would be humbled if you checked out my blog for more information on Oya lace :)

    www.couchcrochetcrumbs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, its very very use for me.. i'm Merry from Indonesia.. and I love crocheting..greetings..

    ReplyDelete