Monday, October 4, 2010

Santa Fe and Taos: Yarn Shops and the Taos Wool Festival

My husband and I love to visit New Mexico and so we spent last weekend in Santa Fe at a book fair and in Taos at the Taos Wool Festival.

Wherever I go, I like to check out the local yarn shops and I now have a favorite in Santa Fe. It's called Tutto and it's a gem.

I first visited this shop last July. It's a cozy shop full of beautiful colors, a variety of fibers and textures, and with enough stock to purchase enough of one yarn for an entire project. Last time it was full of people there for a class. But this time it was quiet so I was able to look around in a more leisurely fashion.

One of the distinguishing features of this LYS is the button selection. WOW! If you need a special button, this is the place to go. I was also delighted to find some great yarn brands that I've not seen at the other LYS that I have visited.

An new favorite in Taos is another find from last July called Red Willow Arts and Fiber in Rancho de Taos. It's a new shop off the plaza that surrounds the San Francisco de Assis church made famous by Georgia O'Keeffe painting of the back of it.

The owner has a great selection of fibers for spinning and yarns created by the local Taos Valley Wool Mill. The fibers available include Blue Face Leicester, Churro, Alpaca, Mohair, Silk, and Milk. This visit I gave in to her suggestion to try the milk fiber in a beautiful Hawaiian blue as well as some black alpaca/silk.

Sunday morning found us at the Taos Wool Festival in Kit Carson Park and it was a beautiful day for it. There were even more vendor tents than last year and so more variety to choose from.

Taos is always a great festival for finding great yarn, fibers, dyed goods, woven products, knitted and crocheted products, and great community. I've never had a chance to take classes but have heard good reviews.

An added bonus (in my opinion) is that all the vendors are all from New Mexico, Colorado, or Texas and their fiber/animals must be raised in the same. It's all designed to promote and support the area fiber industry.

My particular goal was to find something really unique and so I was pleased to find some Paco-Vicuña fiber to spin. Pricey, but I've been wanting to try it since reading about it in SpinOff Magazine. The vendor I purchased it from was Indian Hills Handwovens from Salida, Colorado.

My last fiber stop for the weekend was La Lana Wools. I've been visiting them for several years and when I walked in this time I noticed that they have made a lot of changes. When there, I tend to look for unique things I won't find anywhere else. This time I found some beautiful reeled silk in dark green and silver. They carry an interesting selection of wool yarn and also offer fiber for spinning, although the selection wasn't as big as it has been in the past. They also carry natural dye material in bulk for those without dye gardens.

All said, it was a fast but satisfying weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice "report' - you have succeeded in intensifying my desire to attend this festival. I have also wanted to visit La Lana for many years. The Vicuñas are soooo cute and the fiber sounds heavenly, as does the reeled silk. I can imagine you creating amazing things with both fibers.

    ReplyDelete