Friday, December 3, 2010

Slow Cloth and Handmade

In honor of the approaching holidays where many of us are planning on giving gifts that we have handmade for our loved ones I wanted to share some great links.

The first is about Slow Cloth. It's a long article, but please take the time to read it. It talks about what slow cloth is and the benefits of it. This is how my parents raised me, to value the handmade to do it with excellence and love. I like to think it has enriched my entire life as a result.

Hand Eye Magazine: Slow Cloth

Even if you tend to hand make things yourself, you can also commit to buying handmade here on this site. By buying handmade you support the slow cloth movement with your pocket book. You also further enrich yourself and others with gifts that are higher quality than machine made as well as being 100% unique.

Buy Handmade - I pledge to buy handmade for myself and my loved ones, and request that others do the same for me.

A great place on-line for inspiration in all categories of handmade is Etsy. And if you haven't been there, what are you waiting for? It's also a great place to buy handmade if you don't live in an area with artist, artisan, and craft sales and galleries. It's a great place to buy handmade even if you do.

Etsy - Your place to buy and sell all things handmade, vintage, and supply

There are a lot of wonderful designers who post their patterns and yarn on their own web sites and places like Ravelry and Patternfish.

Finally, don't forget to look at what I have to offer (see the pattern links in the right side bar) and continue to come back for regular updates.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I just wanted to thank you for the link. I'm the author of the Hand/Eye article on Slow Cloth and the originator of the Slow Cloth concept as described in that article. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Your blog and your work is lovely - I look forward to reading more. Thank you!
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete