Friday, February 11, 2011

Yarn Snobbery

A writer friend was chatting with me today and said, "You're a yarn snob, aren't you?" I hadn't thought of it that way but had to admit that I guess I am.

So what makes me a yarn snob? I don't just love yarn. I love really good quality yarn. 

While I don't exclude synthestics with my snobbery, it has to be really good quality or fill a niche need for me to go there again and again. Synthetics are often used with natural fibers to strengthen the yarn or add a bit of pizzazz and that can be a good thing.

Most of the yarns I use are part or mostly made of natural fibers. And, being truly allergic to sheep wool, I tend to explore a lot of fibers such as cotton, bamboo, silk, alpaca, llama, cashmere, and mohair.

Being a crocheter adds an even deeper dimension to my yarn snobbery. A lot of beautiful, high quality yarns just don't work for crochet very well. Especially those very fluffy ones with barely a twist in the ply.

How did I turn into a yarn snob? I learned how to make my own.

I started learning to spin in 1989 and starting using my yarns to make projects about 1993. It's how I learned that I'm allergic to sheep wool and so discovered all the beautiful exotic fibers that are available. Many were readily available to spinners long before they were commonplace in commercially available yarns.

In learning to make my own yarn I learned about the different fibers, how they work, what their individual properties are, and what makes a good yarn versus a bad one. And so was born a yarn snob.

Are you a yarn snob? How did you become one?

1 comment:

  1. I get accused of the same thing because 98% of my knitting is with handspun because I enjoy the whole process from choosing the fibre, spinning, dyeing, knitting.....sometimes difficult to sexplain this to my business partners as I co-own a knitting shop :-)

    ReplyDelete