Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Grecian Crochet Via Santorini

Honey and I just got back from an incredible vacation on Santorini. This was the view from our room.


We went to celebrate Honey's 50th birthday and had an incredible time there. We thoroughly enjoyed the island, and in particular its residents. The Greeks are wonderful people.

One of the things we learned is that the residents of Santorini spend the winter making things to sell during the tourist season. It was wonderful to see so many products of Santorini (and other parts of Greece) available to purchase. I was amazed to see A LOT of crochet.

Here are a couple of photos I took of some silk crocheted edgings for shawls from Soufli.



I also saw a lot of beautiful crocheted jewelry. Some made of wire and others of silk thread.



Even some crochet in our bread basket at a restaurant.



In one of the shops selling locally grown and made items I talked with a woman about what I had seen. She said that crochet is very popular with Greek women and they especially like to do items with angels, flowers, and butterflies.

I had hoped to find some more information about Greek crochet when I got home, but I haven't had a lot of luck so far. However, I did run across this blog by a Greek woman where she has shared photos of some of her crocheted family heirlooms. I also finally found a site selling the Soufli shawls with more edgings to see.

It's all been very inspirational!


No comments:

Post a Comment