Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Estes Park Wool Market: Part 1

A friend reminded me that I need to get better at my blogging again. (Thanks Mary)

I was able to go to the Estes Park Wool Market a couple weekends ago (June 8-9) and thought I'd share a bit with you. For those not familiar with it, Estes Park is the town that is the eastern gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park. RMNP is a pretty incredible place and gets a lot of out of visitors both from Colorado and out of state. So Estes Park is a tourist town with a lot of hotels and a lovely little  "downtown" to walk through and enjoy.

The city of Estes Park is the one that organizes the wool market and they hold it at the county fairgrounds there. It's mostly a livestock fair with a not-to-shabby vendor area. Needless to say, a lot of people go just for the vendors.


When I go I usually have particular things in mind that I want. If I didn't do that, I would be there all day and come away deeply in debt. This year I was focused on things that had to do with using my Russian Spindle and making gossamer weight yarns.

My very first stop was to visit Galina of Skaska Designs to pick up a couple more spindles and see what she had for fiber. She was really busy when I got there, but I managed to come away with the spindles and some cashmere.



I stopped at Buffalo Wool Co. to get some bison/silk.


After perusing the other vendors looking for silk (not much there at all this year) and chatting with a friend who was a vendor, we headed out to look at the animals in their barns.

 This rather ordinary looking goat produces cashmere.


 This one produces Mohair.


And these are Paco-Vicuñas. I did purchase some Paco-Vicuña to try out. 

Needless to say, I spend a lot of money on some beautiful fibers. The kind that are $25-$40 an ounce. Fortunately they go really far on a Russian spindle.





No comments:

Post a Comment