Thursday, June 19, 2014

Estes Park Wool Market 2014

Most years I make a trip to the Estes Park Wool Market. It's always in June and it's always worth it.

I didn't take a lot of photos this year because I was so busy buying. I mean it. My hands got full very quickly. I took two bags for carrying stuff and they were both full when I was done.

I was impressed by the new building. It seems a little bigger than the old one. Or maybe it was the nice new layout of the booths that made it seem bigger. The quality of the vendors was really high too. 

Here's the haul:

I didn't get much yarn. That doesn't mean that they didn't have any, it just means I like to spin my own. 
•There is one hank of green in there. It's from Daybreak Dyeworks and it was a gift for my neighbor. She likes green and was taking care of my cat, Calypso, while we were gone. The colorway was done specifically for the wool market and was a limited edition.
• There are 2 hanks of white from Skaska Designs. That's silk for plying what I spin on my Russian spindles.
• The red braided fiber is Bluefaced Leicester from Daybreak Dyeworks in her Dance Fever colorway.
• The hot pink and blue fiber on the right is superfine Merino from The 100th Sheep.
• The silver gray fiber is Angora rabbit from Midnight MoonSong.
• The brown fiber in the gift containers is Paco Vicuña from Jefferson Farms Natural Fibers. I'm spinning that on one of the new Russian spindles I got.
• 3 new Russian spindles from Skaska Designs. 2 are for spinning and 1 is for plying.
• The brown bag far left is full of Bison down from The Buffalo Wool Company.
• The ball of purple yarn is Yarn Place Graceful Lace Yarn in their Dusty Autumn colorway from Skaska Designs. It is fine enough for my Spring Hope Shawl pattern being published in the Spin-Off Fall 2014 issue.
• Last, but not least is the 2 braided, multi-colored rovings from Dicentra Designs. They're Bluefaced Leicester and Tussah Silk in their Road of Trials colorway.

That should keep my wheel and spindles busy for awhile.

Honey mentioned to me earlier in the year that he wanted to stay at another Grand Lodge. They're the old, grand accommodations built when the national parks first started attracting a lot of visitors. So, we splurged and stayed at the Stanley Hotel.


It's quite grand and is famous because it's the place that inspired Stephen King to write "The Shining." They give tours that focus on the hauntings and book trivia, although we didn't do that. And we weren't haunted in our very nice room either.

We visited Rocky Mountain National Park the next day, although we didn't have to go into the park to see the elk. This guy was hanging out by our hotel parking lot.


The days were overcast but we still enjoyed the RMNP scenery.


Who can resist a view like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment