Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Great Western Alpaca Show and Denver Fiber Fiesta

This post is a little late, but better late than never...right? Life has been busy.

At the beginning of May I went to the Great Western Alpaca Show and the Denver Fiber Fiesta. It was easy to do both since they were held in the same location, the National Western Complex.

I started out at the Denver Fiber Fiesta. When I entered the building it was up the stairs in a big wide open space. There were a lot of vendors and I had fun looking around. Not many people were visiting right then, so I was free to look without jostling or competition.

Denver Fiber Fiesta
The vendors had some really nice things to offer. Fiber, yarn, and finished goods such as garments, rugs, felt, accessories, and other related items. They had a handspun contest that I didn't get to look at since it was being judged when I was there.

I bought some Merino from this vendor, Daybreak Dyeworks.
I came away with some nice merino and alpaca fiber for spinning.

 
Here's the superfine merino from Daybreak Dyeworks all spun up. It's her ¡Fiesta! colorway. She's going to be at the Estes Park Wool Market next weekend, so I'll look for her there and get some more fiber from her.


Next I went to find my friend, Mary, of Autumn Sun Alpacas in the barn. I had fun looking at all the animals as I walked the aisles.


I had to wonder how well this guy could see through the fluff around his face.
I eventually located Mary and we had a great chat.




After that we both ended up sitting together to watch the judging of some alpaca classes, one of which her husband was showing in with one of their animals.




It was good to spend some time with her since we hadn't seen each other in months. It was nice to do some catching up.

My one complaint about the day was a serious lack of information available and a lot of miss-information.

The Denver Fiber Fiesta site hadn't been updated for the show from the pre-show information. That was a little frustrating, but I managed in spite of it.

The National Western Complex was another matter. Due to lack of good signage and traffic I ended up parking in a paid parking lot on the complete opposite side of the complex. If I had managed to see the one sign that was poorly placed as I came in I could have parked for free near my destination. When I figured out the general direction I needed to walk, I literally walked in a big circle. Their signs were placed so that I walked about 3 times as far as needed to get to the door I needed to get to where I was going. After talking with vendors at the Fiber Fiesta and my friend, I found out that they had experienced similar frustrations that morning since the parking locations for both vendors and visitors had been changed that morning. I would say that the National Western Complex is not managed with good customer service in mind.

That said, I'm glad I went.

No comments:

Post a Comment